The Lake County Health Department provides an approved anti-tobacco program for any person under the age of eighteen cited for possession of tobacco. The Teen Tobacco Citation Class is a two hour citation class that is offered in both the North and South ends of Lake County. A Certificate of completion will be issued at the end of the class and a copy placed in the youth's court file by the Clerk of Court.
You can register for a class by doing one of the following:
- Dial (352) 357-1668, ext 2140 and make an appointment
- Schedule a Teen Tobacco Citation Class On-line
What are the Laws about Tobacco?
If you are under the age of 18, it is against the law to do the following:
- Possess tobacco (s.569.11)
- Sell or give away any tobacco product to minors under the age of 18 (s.569.101)
On October 1, 1997, Florida State Statue 569.11 was created in order to take a strong stance against tobacco use among minors. The Law makes it illegal for any person under the age of 18 to possess any tobacco product. Any person under the age of 18 cited for violating the law will be:
- Assessed court fines which must be paid within 30 days of the citation being written or complete 16 hours of community service
- Attend a mandatory school approved anti-tobacco program.
First Violation: court fines or 16 hours of community service and complete a school approved anti-tobacco program. The fine must be paid within 30 days of the citation being written.
Second Violation: within 12 weeks of the first violation, additional court fines.
Third Violation: within 12 weeks of the first violation, driver's license is withheld, suspended or revoked.